Are your kids Sodaholics? Is every meal accompanied with soda of some kind. THINK BEFORE YOU DRINK… or your children drink! Do you really know the dangers of drinking soda? What is it doing to your body. Sure, we all know about the sugar, but what else can be so bad? After all, it keeps them from complaining, right?
Wrong! As much as I hate to be the bearer of bad news, there is pretty much nothing good about drinking soda. Nothing!
Here’s some help, and might I suggest that you also discuss this with your kids to help them understand the dangers. YUP, there’s SUGAR and plenty of it! Do you really want them to digest a cup of sugar? Oh, it’s diet soda? Do you really want them to digest a cup of artificial sweetener? Here’s what too much SODA can lead to…
- DIABETES! You get to have Shots, injections, lots of them, Insulin, blindness, loss of limbs… there isn’t anything good about having diabetes and sadly it is showing up more and more in our kids. To me, this is true child abuse.
- OBESITY! Excessive fat, rolls and rolls, fat jokes, blob lifestyles, bullying, depression, illness, overworked hearts, low self esteem, low self worth, lack of confidence, seclusion, illness… clearly I could go on and on with this one. Is this what you hope your kids will grow to be one day?
- DIGESTION PROBLEMS! Caffiene and Soda are diuretics, this can lead to dehydration. Did you know that children become dehydrated much faster than adults. Do they really need help with this from a soda?
- ADDICTION! Caffeine, sugar, soda… you can become addicted and so can your kids. I bet some of you reading this are thinking, “I know what you mean, if I don’t have my Coke during the day, I am cranky and miserable.”
- TOOTH DECAY! Isn’t it already hard enough to get your kids to keep their teeth and gums clean and healthy? Do we really need to add the acids in soda to that problem? Soda also discolors teeth and the excessive sugar, along with the acids, helps to rot them. Let’s hear it for causing tooth decay, cavities and high dental bills. Whoo-Hoo!
- NO NUTRITIONAL VALUE! What??? There is no nutrition in a soda? Amazing. Not only is it empty calories, it can fill you up and cause you to eat less healthy food.
- SLEEP DEPRIVATION! Caffeine keeps you up, Sugar keeps you energized. Don’t you want your kids to be asleep? Need I say more?
- BEHAVIOR ISSUES! How often do parents with their kids would calm down. We are telling them all the time. So why would you give them a drink that completely jacks them up. They will also thank you for the soda with increased mood swings, crankiness, discipline problems… sounds awesome, doesn’t it.
- BONUS: CLEANS YOUR CAR BATTERY! That’s right, pour a can of soda on your car battery and your up and cruising in no time. For me, that’s the only thing soda is good for. Well, when you or your child drinks a soda, you’re ingesting all that wonderful acid that can clean rust. What’s it doing to you? MSG hides in soda and has been proven to cause long term neurological effects like Alzheimers, dementia, ALS and others. That’s a nice gift to give your kids. Oh, did I mention what acid does to your bones? You want your kids to grow taller, right? Adding a soda to their diet depletes Calcium and weakens their bones.
Sooooo…. let’s talk ALTERNATIVES!.. and don’t forget to let the kids help you make these drinks. They love it!
SPRITZERS: Fun to make, fun to drink and refreshing. Fill your glass with 1/3 of 100% juice of your choice and fill the rest of your glass with Sparkling Water. Add some fresh fruit on a toothpick to make it fancy and delicious.
NEW YORK EGG CREAM: In a tall glass, fill 1/3 of the glass with very chocolaty chocolate milk and add Seltzer to the rest of the glass. Seriously, the best! (check out my Periscope page… I did a Periscope on making an egg cream last year)
SMOOTHIE... Use Almond Milk or regular milk or whatever milk you like and add away… bananas, berries, oranges, carrots, greens, yogurt, honey, even add a tsp. of Apple Cider Vinegar to keep you healthy… blend it and drink it up. Hint: Use frozen fruit instead of ice cubes to add even more servings of fruit.
And of course almost any other drinks you have in the house like Milk, Orange Juice, Cranberry Juice or my personal favorite WATER!
Just think of all the other things your kids can drink instead of a soda and help them get in the habit of drinking water. You’ll love it, they’ll love it and life with be great!
If this post was helpful to you, comment below and let’s help some more parents! Feel free to share this with anyone who has kids or just might enjoy the read.
Peace, Love & Laughter!
Let’s raise happy and healthy kids together!
Catch my Parenting show live on Periscope, as we discuss topics of concern and great ideas for all parents and caregivers. Is there a topic you’d like me to address, just send me an email or comment below. Join us on Facebook in our Group THE PARENT MASTER.